Important security update from BBTP
Important security update - Malicious URL in BBTP-platform
The BBTP team would like to alert our community members about a recent security incident involving our platform. We have been notified that there was a malicious URL in the source code of our platform. At this moment, we are unaware of any actual misuse of BBTP users' personal information. Nevertheless, we are taking this matter seriously. Customer and member security is our top priority.
Below, you can find more information about the incident and information about how to protect themselves against possible identity theft or fraud.
Outside advertisements have recently appeared on the BBTP-platform and our technical partner has been investigating the matter without finding the root cause. A leading cybersecurity firm was then contacted and on Tuesday, November 7th, 2023 — after close investigation — a malicious URL in the source code was found. The source code was masqueraded as legitimate but delivered malware as well as explicit content.
What are we doing about the problem?
- Our technical partner has worked with the leading cybersecurity firm to remove the malware from the source code
- We are actively monitoring the platform and the server to safeguard information
- We will set up a 2-factor authentication to enhance security to our user accounts
- All users will be prompted to change the password when logging in
- We have sent a notification to the “Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman” in Finland on Friday, November 10th, 2023
- We have informed members and customers via email on Friday, November 10th, 2023
What can you do?
- To protect yourself, please change your password when logging in to the BBTP-platform.
- When available, take the 2-factor authentication in use when logging in to the BBTP-platform.
- Please change your username and password on other platforms as well, if you use identical identification information as on BBTP-platform.
- For more information, we suggest that you visit tietosuoja.fi, the website of the “Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman” in Finland, or consult relevant authorities in your country.
We sincerely apologize for any concern or inconvenience this incident may have caused you. We are committed to resolving this issue and protecting your data.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
For more information
If you have any questions or require assistance, please don´t hesitate to contact Elina Liehu at +358 40 564 7441 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.